Friday, September 16, 2011

Video Card Repair

Yay! I revived another dead computer part. This time it's a video card which would overheat and quit working because the fan didn't spin. Here's a picture of how the card looked originally. (I googled it since I didn't take a picture before I started my repair.)



I popped off the dead fan / heatsink and then found a CPU heatsink from an antique computer and a small fan from my parts box. I'm not sure what it was for originally but prolly a CPU cooler fan. I smeared on some high density, polysynthetic silver thermal compound and smooshed the heatsink down tight against the video GPU. To make the new combination stay on the card, I had previously drilled tiny holes thru the new fan housing and heatsink to line up with two of the holes in the card. You can see the silver top of the tiny bolt I used just to the right and down from the black screw. The other bolt is opposite and you can't see it in this picture.



Next is a picture of the back side of the card. I used a couple of rubber washers so the metal of the washers and nuts can't touch the card and cause an electronic short.



I then put the card into a computer and let it run continuously for 24 hours and it did not overheat. Next I wanted to identify what kind of card I had. The numbers I had to work with were "20001852" and "10004499 Rev B". By googling I found that it was most likely a VisionTek GeForce4 Ti4600 with 128 meg of DDR VRAM. More googling with this better information and I found this review at HotHardware.Com. I then googled for drivers in case I need them and MPCDrivers.Com has those available.

So, now I have another decent dual port video card I can use. :)

3 comments:

Alice said...

HI there my love.<3 :)

How are you?
Here I'm doing quite well, tho very much tired hehe..But I made it in time and don't worry, the lesson has been well learned; no more procrastination(tho I'd like to know.. if lets say I don't want to sleep and to stay up late to play/chat with you instead, would that count as procrastination? ;p).

OK, now I'm going to bed cause I'm really tired and need to catch up a bit. I've only slept for about 3 hours yesterday or should I said early in the morning. I'm not sure but I'll try to be up at 4 or 5am, but if you can get a nap when you get back, it'd be nice to. I love you!<3 <3 <3 *Tight embraces and long passionate kisses and gentle nibbles.*

Jessie said...

Hi there too, my darling, :)

I'm quite well as usual. I'm glad to hear you got your art thing done in time. There is one theory about procrastination which is that by putting something off until the last minute the time spent doing it is more miserable but there is less of it. lol And no, staying up late to do something like chat or play the game doesn't count as procrastination because that is proactively planning ahead for what you want to do. ;-)

I've been home all day today and woke up at my normal 5 am and then continued puttering around getting things organized and more parts sorted and put away. Then I blogged about my latest computer repair project. After that I took a long nap from 11:30 to 4:00 cause I was quite tired from staying up until the wee hours of the morning when I shouldn't have.

After my nap I did my banking and then came home and mowed the lawn. Since it's now getting cool at night and not too warm during the day, I think it should be the last time for this season. Yay! I don't like that chore. I cleaned the mower's belly to get all the build up of grass and gunk off so it will be ready to go next spring.

Anyhow, all that to say I've had a good day, I've accomplished important things on my to-do list and I'm well rested so we can play when you wake up. *Snuggly hugs and sweet, lingering kisses.* I love you too! <3 <3 <3

Chappie said...

Neat :)