Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bloated Capacitors

This isn't exactly a Diablo game post except that it relates to one of the computers I'm using for a mule character. A couple of months ago I got 4 new (to me) Dell computers with 2.8ghz CPUs. While in the game, one of them would lockup with a random exception error. I did some research and then looked inside. Turns out one of the capacitors suffers from the Capacitor plague.

This picture is kinda fuzzy cause my camera isn't good at close up, but it's good enough to see the bulging top.



On the side of the capacitor it shows 6.3v 1500μF. (The μF stands for microfarad, tho that's not important to know.) I dug thru my old parts box and found an AOpen motherboard which was for a 400mhz, Slot 1 CPU and since it's way too slow to be of much practical use, I decided I could use its capacitors to fix the Dell boards. It has 14 caps with matching specs. :)


I de-soldered the bad cap, then a good cap, and then re-soldered the good cap onto the Dell motherboard. I've run the Diablo game on it for about 36 hours total with one of the sessions being about 18 hours and no lockups or any other problems. One other of the Dells has a slight bulge on that cap and the other two look just fine. I'm guessing that shows which were used more and which less. I'm going to swap out the capacitors on all of them as preventive maintenance. This picture is the new cap on the Dell board.


Well, this got me to thinking about the random problems I was having with my work computer. YouTube videos would not play on my main 21" monitor, but if I moved them over to the little 17" secondary monitor they would play fine. This seemed odd to me since the main screen is hooked up to an AGP GeForce MX 440 video card with 128 meg of ram and the secondary is using a PCI 4 meg S3 Virge card. As time went on, I was having more and more goofy video glitches like scrolling a web page would just freeze up. I could minimize and maximize it from the task bar and it would be ok again. For a short or long while.

Anyhow, I pulled out the GeForce card and I found that 7 of the 9 capacitors were bloated. These pictures show just the 7 in the group near the back of the card. You can see the 5 bad ones on the left and back. The other two are what they should look like.



The last two pictures are a bit better since I used a big magnifying glass in front of the camera lens. I could prolly get a better one of the top view, but it's good enough for this blog which very few peeps read.

And in case you are wondering, no, I did not fix this card but I did set it aside as a possible future project if I can find the caps it needs. For the quick fix, I dropped in a GeForce FX 5500 dual port card with 256 meg of ram.

4 comments:

Alice said...

Hi my love! :)

How are you? Here I'm quite well, just tired but ok. I just wanted you to know that I'll be on TC(TS room) for a little while, after that I'd get up. Its been a while since I went there and I kind of missed everyone there. Then after some minutes, we could prolly get in the game and play for a bit. :)

I've missed you too. :(
Well see you later, darling(around 3). I love you!<3 <3 <3

Jessie said...

Hi there honey,

I got home late and just finished feeding the little one. Now I need to feed me next. It's about 4:10 am now. Are you still up and in TS? I'll drop in and check.

I love you too! <3 <3 <3

Alice said...

Hi Jessie,

How's your day? Mine was quite nice, tiring a bit tho.
Actually today we went to a march of solidarity with the other Catholic high schools to help another high school(the one Jeremie goes to named "College Père Laval") which needs some funds to rebuild the school's building from that incident with the fire taking place a bit before last holidays.
Anyway, it was fun walking from the church Cathedral(near my school) to Ste Croix which makes about uhm 5km/h I think..:/

We also stopped by the Shrine of Father Laval and made a little prayer. Ok, for the Father Laval story is quite long.. so I'll let you read about him on the net if you want to know about him. Lets say he helped a lot of people when he was alive and being here in Mauritius and well, today is his death's anniversary where its like a festival with us pilgrims who go and gather at his grave in Ste Croix. I'm not going tonight tho since I've already went earlier. :p

So now, I'm going to bed. I'm quite tired and uhm I will try to be on at 4am tho I can't promise anything. I love you dearly.<3 *Hugs and lots of loving kisses.*<3

Jessie said...

Hi Alice,

I'm home and the game is up waiting for you to drop in. I love you too! <3