Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe

This was my mom's recipe for Snickerdoodle cookies. I think it came from her mom or maybe my great-grandma.

Sift together:

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (slightly beaten)

Then stir in:

2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Roll into small balls (about 1 inch diameter)
Dip top half of ball into cinnamon & sugar mixture
Place on ungreased cookie sheet
Bake at 400° fahrenheit for 8 to 10 minutes

These cookies puff up at first, then flatten out with crinkled tops.  Makes about 5 dozen 2 inch cookies.  They are exquisitely delicious.


Edit: I've been asked if there is a substitute for the cream of tarter. My online research shows that the cream of tarter combined with the baking soda is the levening agent which makes the cookies rise. The general rule appears to be to substitute 1 teaspoon baking powder for each 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tarter and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.

So, in this recipe, skip both the cream of tarter and the baking soda and use 4 teaspoons of baking powder.

4 comments:

Alice said...

Hi Jessie, :)

Well, I've finally done it, the Snickerdoodle cookies and it was delicious, so delicious that I couldn't even save any for later, like my midnight snack, geez, lol. Really everyone liked the cookies, even my grandparents.. yeah, I gave them some too. Well, I'll make some again soon and this time I'll make sure to make a lot more. ;)

So, thank you so very much for the recipe. Its great! :D
See you later, maybe. *Hugs and kisses.* I love you.<3 <3 <3

Jessie said...

Hi Alice, :)

Thank you so very much. I'm glad to hear you and everyone else liked them. I think they are the best cookies ever. lol

I love you too, darling. *Hugs and kisses* <3 <3 <3

Alice said...

Hi dear, :)

You're very much welcome, I'm sorry about yesterday tho.. I suddenly lost connection and I couldn't even go reset the modem or mom would have thought that I'd be up late at night, and so I went to sleep. uu

Well, now I'm going to school and I better hurry up or else I'll be late. See you later, honey. I love you.<3 <3 <3

Renee! said...

Om nom nom.
Yummeh cookies!
I liked the dough the best ;)