Friday, October 7, 2011

ST310014ACE Project - Step 6

I'm getting ready to solder the wires to the DB9 connector. Since the diagram for it in my Serial Programmer Circuit Diagram shows the view looking into the female side, I created another diagram showing the pin side so I don't get confused while attaching the wires. It looks like this:



That's it for now. I'm off to heat up my iron and attach some wires.

EDIT - 11:00 pm

All wires for the complete circuit are soldered in place. I hooked it to the power supply, turned it on and nothing popped, smoked or exploded. :) Now I need to connect the data cable to the drive and the serial cable to a computer and see if I can chat with the Seagate ST310014ACE hard drive. I'm tired so I'm going to save that for tomorrow.

EDIT - 12:25 am

I changed my mind about waiting. I just had to see if all this effort was worth it.

It worked!
It worked!
It worked!

Yay! I am so very happy.

I'll take some pictures and post my screenshots another time.

EDIT - 2:04 am

Ok. Here's a picture of the completed project. It's ugly. I have wires going every which way, but it worked. ;-)



Notice that the power connector is not plugged into the hard drive. There is a reason for that. I'll explain when I post some more.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Hey there, Jessie! :)

Yay!! As you know, I'm so happy that your project is finally done and works out fine. Congrates!! xD

Ok, it might be a bit messy with all that wires but its not ugly as you put it.. besides, the look doesn't really matter since it works fine. But if you want, maybe you can try to rearrange the wires so that it looks less messy than that. ;)

Anyway, I'm proud of you and congrates again. xD I love you, my little genius!<3 <3 <3