Monday, September 26, 2011

Silly Project

I'm not ready to post the details of my project, but I've spent about 14 to 16 hours over the past couple of days doing research for it. I've embedded a few links you can browse if you are really bored (or into techie things). The project calls for a Max232 integrated circuit chip. I don't have one of those and the local Radio Shack doesn't carry them. However, I dug way deep into my old parts collection and found this:

(I googled the above picture. I'll take one of my own card when I am ready to post the complete details of my project.)

Anyhow, this card happens to have a GD75188 and a GD75189A on it. If I'm understanding this stuff right, where I need to use pins 7 & 10 of the Max232 chip, I can use pins 2 & 3 of the GD75188 for my line driver and where it needs pins 8 & 9 of the Max232, I can use pins 1 & 3 of the GD75189A for my line receiver. I will have to supply +12 volt and -12 volt to the '88 chip rather than only the +5 volt the Max232 uses. No big deal there because I'm planning to use an old computer power supply to get my juice. I've already tested the PSU by shorting the PS_ON pin to ground so I can turn it on without having to plug it into a motherboard.


Do keep in mind that the power supply should not be run this way unless you have a load on it.  Meaning a device that is using some of the power it is producing. I connected a hard drive (which has 1.23 meg in bad sectors and which I don't trust for data).

I'll make a new blog entry when I get more accomplished or finish building the circuitry.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Hi there, my darling. :)

How are you?

Here I'm doing quite well tho I'm still a bit tired and need to catch up my sleep. The Fancy Fair was quite fun too, even if I didn't stay long since I had some family guests dropping by.. I was also very tired because I.. no, we as the member of the party didn't sleep at all at my cousin's place.

Most of us which were left there went to bed at 5am.. the girls(which has 4 in all left) went to 2other rooms since we got into, pairs while most of the guys were in my cousin's room.

However, one of the guys was making it hard for us to sleep with his jokes and keep on disturbing us every 5 minutes.. going to the other rooms with the others and then back to the room I was with Mel and my two cousins.(who came by after a little while)

So yeah, I only got 3 hours of sleep, after of course that guy was gone at 7am along with Mel btw.. and then I went back home and got breakfast, doing some chores and then went to the Fancy Fair. So yes, I didn't sleep much.

Ok well, now I'm about to go to bed. Parents along with lil sis and bro just got back home.They got their turn tonight with another farewell party tho this time it was only the adults and the childrens.(So, brother and me wasn't invited,lol)

I hope your project is going well but don't forget to actually eat and sleep. lol :p
I love you, my wonderful girlfriend!!<3 <3 <3;)

*Hugs, long warm tender kisses and nibbles.*

Jessie said...

Good morning dear. :)

I hope you've caught up on your sleep by now. I've been missing out on some of mine, lol. The project goes well. I've finished my circuit design so next I'll need to build it and test it.

*Hugs and kisses!* <3